Thing #14- Wiki What?

After reading Vicki Davis' blog, I understand the importance of Wiki Learning.  I can only imagine her feelings of excitement after hearing her students talk about what was going on in class and being excited about it.  I am not sure why, but I am not super crazy about Wikis.  I guess I just need more time to familiarize myself with them and the potential of learning that can happen on them.  I just need some time to experiment. 

I reviewed all of the wikis- but these are the ones that I chose to talk about:

Math 12v Outcomes Portfolio-  this was a really neat Wiki- tons of work to create!  I thought it was really neat how all of the learning objectives for the year were listed with specific examples of each objective.  This could be very useful for students studying for a test or when working on an assignment and have a question.  The set-up of the wiki was very neat and user friendly.  This was pretty cool.  I believe that this would be the type of wiki that I could implement in my classroom.

Primary Math-  I liked the way this site used lots of pictures.  Even though the idea was probably due to the fact that these kids were young and pictures are more useful than words, I believe that pictorial representations can be more  effective for different learners.  I really liked it.  It was simple to navigate through.  I can see lots of learning potential here as well.   I teach 7th grade so I can see where more language would need to be present but I like the simple layout and all of the pictorial representations.  Great idea!

Kindergarten Counting Book-  this page was extremely basic, but once again= I really liked the use of pictures.  I think that this site could have a little more "substance" to it- although I understand the need for less information. 


1 comments:

THE KNIGHTS said...
June 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

You actually found some pretty cool wikis. I, too, loved the picture ones. The kinder one was really cool - who doesn't want to count snacks ;)

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Jeffries Jabber. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.